At Calcagno & Rossi Vein Treatment Center, we know that there are a great many causes of varicose veins, from who your parents are to if you’ve had a baby recently to your weight. Let’s explore each one…
• Heredity: The primary contributing factor to vein disease is heredity. So if your mother or grandmother had varicose veins, you may be a candidate, too.
• Sex: In fact, venous insufficiency or venous reflux typically afflicts women with twice the frequency as men.
• Age: By age 60, as many as 70% of women and 40% of men will exhibit some signs of vein insufficiency.
• Hormonal Factors: Your hormones also play a significant role in the aggravation of this common disease. Puberty, menopause, birth control pills, as well as estrogen / progesterone pills, can aggravate vein disease.
• Pregnancy: Being pregnant can greatly exacerbate existing vein disease as the increased blood volume and blood flow frequently overwhelms the insufficient veins.
• Work: Another factor is your occupation. If you spend long hours on your feet as a construction worker, teacher, medical professional, factory worker, hairdresser, et.al, you could develop problem veins such as leg swelling, throbbing, pain and leg cramps.
• Weight: If you suddenly gain or lose a lot of weight, your veins can develop circulation problems.
• Leg injuries: A sports injury, a car accident, or a fall can create venous insufficiency, or reflux.
What Our Patients Say:
“With Dr. Calcagno, my outcomes have been exactly what I expected from a physician who is focused on veins –– a total success. His skill set is outstanding, as is his bedside manner. In addition to his surgical skill, Dr. Calcagno has an incredibly gentle touch; it’s fair to say the procedures are virtually painless. And the results are fabulous.
“In the course of the last year (2012), I have had several procedures performed by Dr. Calcagno; two microphlebectomies and two sessions for spider veins.
“I would be remiss not to mention his very professional and equally pleasant staff. I think the practice as a whole is wonderful. I wholehearted recommend Dr. Calcagno.” – V.D.
For More Information
To determine if you have varicose veins or venous reflux, contact Calcagno & Rossi Vein Treatment Center in Mechanicsburg, PA today at 717.791.2800.